Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Go hard bro!

People keep asking me what I do for exercise. So here it is.

I did P90x for awhile and liked it, but found myself getting bored or just over it by 45 min. Plus I have a 3.5 year old at home and it can be really difficult to get him to entertain himself for 60-90 minutes. And let's face it- when you are jumping and jiggling around in your living room and sweating like a pig the last thing you want is to be interrupted every few minutes by a small child asking what you're doing, especially when you really have no idea what you are doing.

Walking is an all time favorite of mine. It feels good. It works good. It's good for your heart and clears your head. I love when the weather is nice I can just put my son in a jogging stroller, stick in some headphones, and go. My problem is that I've been doing it for so long now that I'm not really getting results from it anymore. When I first started going a mile a day I was having the weight fall off. Now I go 3-5 miles and just don't see those kind of results. Plus, right now it is still freezing and snowing so that's out. 

Currently I am doing T25. I. LOVE. IT!! Seriously- how can you beat a 25 minute workout that makes you sweat like crazy and walk around like a newborn calf after?!? The workouts are intense but short so it's easy to push yourself through each one. There is also a modifier who shows you a less intense version of everything so you can build yourself up at your own pace. It's also just long enough that my 3.5 year old can sit in front of the Tv and watch an episode of Sherif Callie before he realizes that I'm gone and he needs to ask me 1,726,839 questions. My husband also does T25. He is active duty Marine Corps and his fitness level is just so far above and beyond mine that it was frustrating for me to work out with him. I know many couples who enjoy working out together- I don't. I want to push myself and not care if I'm flopping around, panting, throwing myself on the ground, and tripping over my own feet. I don't want my husband to see that. Not cute. 

We have made our spare room our workout room. If you have this option and want to work out at home I would totally recommend that. As soon as I walk into that room I'm ready to go into beast mode ( or my version of that) and go hard. Like real hard. T25 is all about focus and being in the moment, and anytime I feel like I can't go anymore I just follow the modifier for a minute and then jump back in. 

Go hard. When you are working out you HAVE to give it your all. You have to seriously push yourself past your comfort zone. There are moves that I physically can't do- yet. So I push myself to try to do them the best I can. Like a burpee. I can't do burpees, but I still try. Now my version of a burpee is basically me throwing myself on and off the floor as fast as I can. It works. I'm getting closer to the real things. There are also these leg up things where you are in plank position and bring your knees up. Those are hard for me but I still do them. Towards the end I get to the point that I'm basically just dragging my legs on the carpet. It works. I'm getting better at those too. At the end of my workout I am usually covered in sweat, bruises, and possibly even carpet burn. I love it. It means I have pushed myself past my comfort zone. It means next time will be a little easier and I will go a little further. Go hard bro!






No comments:

Post a Comment